Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Seeing God

I ran across this article today after putting "Godel's Incompleteness Joke" into google, I used the term to describe myself on facebook, and found this great article, good message all around. Here's an excerpt:

What is God's best joke? It's called Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem. It is so powerful that, when I first met it as a graduate student over 40 years ago, it almost caused me to have a mental breakdown. I had built my life on a foundation of logic, and logic was now showing itself, at best, to be incomplete.

Roughly speaking, Gödel proved that there are truths that we can never know – that human beings cannot know all that is true. What does it mean for there to be a truth that we cannot know. Who knows it? Only God.

So Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem basically proves that God knows things that we cannot. If one grants that Gödel's Incompleteness Theorem is part of God's Creation, not only did God set things up so that we cannot know everything, but God set it up so that we can prove that! Quite a joke, though perhaps at our expense.


And here's the link to the full article: Seeing God

The part where he talks about repressing anger, is dangerous, imho.

No comments:

Post a Comment