Thursday, July 24, 2008

Stroke of Insight

I read the last ~150 pages of My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor. Pretty great book, if you liked the video then you will probably like the book. Even being a fairly scientific mind interested in brain science, it was difficult getting through the 2nd - 3rd chapter because of all the new scientific words and I was trying to get them memorized, I think I remembered gyres or gyrus or something... I forget what it means hehe.

I would recommend chapter 18 if you've ever had a bought with manic psychosis, or have issues with 'day dreaming' or as I always described it, 'playing random scenarios through your mind', she describes the left brain chatter and how to hush it up, by literally talking to your brain, even waving your finger saying "No no! I can't have this right now!" but always acknowledge the power for your brain to make stuff up, say "Thank you, that's very nice how you can make up stories like that, but not right now". Before I read that chapter I would find myself falling really deep in my mind and I would realize how far away from reality I was and throw my hands up and say "WOAH! Not that again!"... so it's good to see I'm not the only one :-)

Besides reading the book, I called my dad a couple times talked for a bit. Also went to radioshack and got another PCB and a couple project enclosures for LSDJ-MC2s, maybe I'll put another one together tomorrow (or even start tonight) to sell on e-bay. No one bought that USB capslocker! Oh well, maybe in march 2009 before april!

No comments:

Post a Comment